Flynn Refrigeration Ltd
Flynn Refrigeration provide a complete supply package for all aspects of refrigeration and air conditioning used within marine and industrial applications. We provide a highly customer focused response to your enquiries.
AWES - Association of European Shipbuilders
AWES (Association of European Shipbuilders) represents a union of 12 National Associations, all working together to create an environment of cooperation and progress in the shipbuilding and shiprepair industry in Europe.
Martech Enterprises Ltd.
Martech is an engineering consulting company incorporated in British Columbia, Canada. The company provides highly specialized professional engineering services to the marine and offshore industries assisting during execution of complex projects.
EDUCATION PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical), University of Singapore (1968)
- Graduate, INSEAD Executive Programme (1981)
- Fellow, Institute of Engineers, Singapore (1986)
- Honorary (Life) Fellow, Singapore Structural Steel Society
- Professional Engineer (Mechanical & Marine),
- Member Professional Engineers Board, Singapore. (1973)
- Member, Institute of Marine Engineers, UK (1972)
- Chartered Engineer, UK (1970)
- 2007- Managing Director, Emas Consultant
- 2006- Council Member (Scholar grade) Gerson Lehrmann Inc, USA
- 2000-2004 Bintai Kindenko Pte Ltd, as
- - President / CEO,
- 1998- 2000 Hyder Consulting Pte Ltd, as
- - Managing Director
- - Country Manager, Singapore
- 1988-1998 United Engineers Ltd. Singapore, as
- - Group General Manager, United Engineers Ltd.
- - President Director, P T United Engineers, Indonesia
- - Director, HICOM Marine Industrial Park Sdn Bhd.
- 1988-1988 LKN Construction Pte Ltd as
- - General Manager & Director
- 1968-1988 Keppel Shipyard Ltd, as
- - Shiprepair Manager
- - Head Management Services
- - Director, Singmarine Shipyard
- - Joint Managing Director Keppel Mitsui Ltd
- - Director, BDS Draughting Services
- - General Manager, Singapore Slipway and Gul Yard
- - Projects Manager,
- - General Manager, Keppel Engineering
His experience in shipyard planning goes back to 1973 when he headed a project team for Keppel Shipyard when the company decided to take the quantum leap from a small ship repairer to invest in new shipyard for the repair of VLCCs and other large vessels
The project took the shipyard from its humble beginnings on the outskirt of the city to a 50 hectare green field site on the west end of the Singapore island, a place called Tuas now the center of Singapore’s marine hub. The first two docks built were of 150,000 dwt
and 330,000 dwt capacities. A third 400,000 dwt dock and additional berth space was added later.
The Keppel group is now the world leader in oilrig construction and a leading player in conversion works for FPSOs, as well as for new buildings of offshore support vessels. There are some 17 shipyards worldwide under their management.
He has made study tours to shipyards around the world including Japan (IHI Yokohama, IHI Kure, Mitsubishi Homoku, Mitsui Tamano, Mitsui Chiba, Hitachi Sakaide) as well as others in Portugal (Lisnave), UK (Swan Hunter Wallsend), Sweden (Kockums), Germany ( GHH Bremen).
Other major project which he has taken a lead role are as follows:
- Keppel Philippines: feasibility study for a new shipyard in Philippines
- Malaysia Marine and Heavy Engineering (MMHE): concept master plan for upgrading yard
- Nakilat Keppel Offshore and Marine (NKOM): planning of new shipyard with two VLCC docks in Ras Laffan, Qatar.
- PT Batamec: concept plan for new slipways and building berths for shipyard in Indonesia.
- HICOM (Heavy Industries Corporation of Malaysia): Feasibility study for the development of a 1600-hectare site in Port Klang, Malaysia into a ShiPark.
- UNIDO United Nations: Shipyard modernization for shipyards in Bangladesh and Solomon Island
In the course of his 30 years involvement in the marine industry he has gained extensive experience in the following areas:
- Site assessment
- Economic and technical feasibility study
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Master planning of marine industrial parks
- Rejuvenation of shipyards
- Development of shipyard management team
- Shipyard layouts for shipyards of up to 500,000 dwt dry docking capacity
- Shipyard equipment procurement
- Design, planning and construction of dry dock, pier, slipway, workshop
- Design of mechanical and electrical services for shipyards
- Design of steel production systems
- Fabrication of floating dock, dock gate, level luffing and gantry cranes, and other steel structures
- Project management of shipyard construction
- Model study for navigation, mooring, pump sump testing for VLCC dry dock
- Risk assessment of dock gate for 400,000 dwt dry dock
- Productivity studies for shipyard
- Diversification programs for shipyards into non-marine industries
PAPERS & CONFERENCES
- “Positioning for competitiveness, the options for Asian yards” presented jointly with Peter Connell, MD Arthur D Little Far East at Conference on “Shipbuilding and shiprepairs, trends and developments” March 1994, Singapore. Also published in Society of Naval Architecture & Marine Engineers.
- Presented paper “Steel Fabrication in Singapore” at AISC Conference, Chicago, Illinois 1985.
- Attended conference on “Shiprepair and Conversion” Grand Hall Olympia London 2000.
- “Clusters versus Chains” published in International Shiprepair News (Aylward Marine) Jan Feb 2001 issue.
- “Reinventing British Shipbuilding, the Global Challenge” published in Shipyard Technology April May 2001 issue.
- “What future ahead for Japanese shipbuilding” published in the Motor Ship march 2006
- “China Shipbuilding, how far can it go?” published in The Motor Ship April 2007.
- Council Member on shipbuilding, Gerson Lehrman Group USA
- Consultant for yard redevelopment to Malaysia Marine and Heavy Engineering
- Consultant for shipyard expansion for P T Batamec (Indonesia)
- Consultant Advisor, Mott McDonald Singapore Pte Ltd
- Senior Business Advisor to Bombardier Transport of Canada
- Business Advisor to Hyder Consulting of UK
- Director and Business Advisor to Scientia Technologies Corporation of Canada
JOINT VENTURE NEGOTIATIONS
- Served as Board Member of the Professional Engineers Board totaling 10 years
- Served as Board Member of the Board of Architects, 2 years
- President Engineering Alumni, National University of Singapore (1986-87)
- Member of Advisory Committees in Nanyang Technological Institute (now called Nanyang Technological University) , University of Singapore (now called national University of Singapore), Singapore Polytechnic, and Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- Vice Chairman for Metrication in the engineering and marine industry of the Metrication Board (1975)
- Founder member and subsequently Treasurer and President of Singapore Structural Steel Society (1984 – 1988)
- President Engineering Alumni of the University of Singapore
He headed or was a member of study teams engaged in joint venture negotiations with parties including Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding for general engineering business, Chokhani International for a shipyard in India, an Indonesian private businessman for a fabrication yard in Jakarta, Nippon Sharyo for manufacturing tank containers, Wagner Biro for general engineering work, Kajima Corporation for construction of MRT tunnels under Singapore River.
INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS EXPERIENCE
- He has traveled widely to many cities in Japan, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Australia, China, India and all countries of ASEAN in connection with business negotiations, joint venture evaluation, procurement, sales, marketing and staff recruitment.
- He has worked with international companies such as Kajima Corporation, Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding, Nippon Sharyo Corporation, Bombardiers and Hyder Consulting.
||Lim Soon Heng
BE, PEng, FIES
Position: Business Consultant
Phone: +65 98187580
Fax +65 67423853