Thordon Bearings (Burlington, Canada), a supplier of in grease and oil-free bearing solutions, has announced the introduction of a new proprietary engineered (non-elastomer) thermoplastic bearing. While the Thordon elastomer range of bearing products are suitable for many applications there are technical limits, such as maximum temperature, beyond which they cannot be used. ThorPlas has been formulated to complement the existing range of Thordon elastomer bearing grades and significantly expands the range of applications.
Typical marine applications for ThorPlas include steering gear tiller arm and jockey-bar linkage bushings, fairleads and rope rollers, self unloader booms, cranes and hoists, barge trolleys, davits, door and ramp hinge bushings and hydraulic cylinder rod ends.
According to the company, ThorPlas offers the following advantages:
- Greasing is eliminated including the labor, cost and potential pollution source
- Increased strength and rigidity allowing working pressures in an interference fit bearing up to 31MPa (4500 psi)
- Internal lubricants formulated into ThorPlas® reduce friction, resulting in smooth operation without lubrication
- Operates above and below the water line
- ThorPlas® machines easily, and dust-free, to suit required dimensions
- Installation is quick and easy using freeze fit techniques