Mitsui O.S.K. Lines announced that MOL and Musashino Co. have jointly developed the wordís first portable liquid-level gauge for vessel ballast tanks. The gauge measures the level of ballast water in a tank by dropping a portable measuring tube into the sounding tube of the ballast tank. A sensor detects air pressure changes in the tube and quickly measures the ballast water level.
Conventional measurement using a sounding tape is complex and time-consuming, requiring several crew members. Use of this new liquid-level gauge makes it quick and easy to check the levels of many ballast tanks, improving efficiency and enhancing the safety of loading/discharging operations.
Main features of the liquid-level gauge are:
- Seafarers can easily carry the gaugeís main unit thanks to its compact size (35cmW x 33cmH x 23cmD) and light weight (about 5kg).
- It takes only 10 to 15 seconds to measure the liquid level in each ballast tank.
- It is compatible with most vessels because the gauge uses the vesselís air compressor system. The gaugeís main unit can be connected with the air hose with a one-touch system.
- The pressure sensor automatically adjusts for changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure.
- A 9V battery is used for power source of the main unit. Measurements are displayed in digital format. It also has an auto-off function to maximize battery life.