"The Modern Yacht" is an international technical conference on yacht design and construction to be held in Southampton, at the same time as the 2003 Southampton Boat Show.
The conference will provide an opportunity for naval architects, engineers, designers and researchers to present papers on the current state of yacht and power craft technology. The conference will focus on power as well as sailing yachts. With evolving rating and class rules allowing ever more exotic materials and advanced construction techniques the need for testing and performance prediction has never been greater. The design of a high performance yacht has to encompass all these issues to be successful.
Papers are invited on all aspects of the design, construction and operation of sailing and power yachts, including:
- Design methodologies and holistic approaches
- Hydrodynamics of hulls and appendages
- Theoretical and experimental modelling of sails
- Modelling of propulsion characteristics of powered craft
- Full-scale measurements and rating rules
- Structural configurations and assessment
- Modern lightweight materials and hybrid construction
- Production and processing methods
- Ergonomics and human factors
- Life cycle assessment and environmental aspects