Following the success of the 2008 competition, The Royal Institution of Naval Architects, in association with Boat International and Camper & Nicholsons International, invite entries for the 2009 competition to find the world best young superyacht designers. The competition will be open to any one who is studying for a degree or other qualification in a subject related to yacht or small craft design, or who graduated from such a course within three years of the closing date for entries.
The World Superyacht Young Designer Award 2009 will be presented to the young designer who produces the best concept design for a superyacht which meets the following owner's specification:
- It should be different from any other yacht!
- It should be capable of operating in both Caribbean and Mediterranean, and carrying 12 passengers and appropriate crew.
- It should comply with all appropriate international safety regulations
- It should have the lowest possible carbon footprint.
- It should have all the recreational facilities which an owner and guests might expect on such a vessel.
- It will be made available for charter
Entrants to the competition will be required to submit the following:
- A profile and deck GA, showing major compartments and features
- A list of principal components and systems
- An estimate of weight and power requirements
- A description of the vessel, with illustrations, describing the philosophy behind the design and its key or novel features
Entries may be submitted by individuals or teams (maximum 3 members), and will be judged on innovation, technical feasibility, style and presentation by a panel of leading experts in the field.