Just like any other great investment, your boat requires regular care and maintenance in order to withstand the harsh marine conditions. A clean boat not only looks betters, but it also gives you years of fun to enjoy on the water. One way to effectively wash your boat is by using a high quality boat wash brush.
I know how difficult it can be to clean a boat with a brush without damaging or scratching the paint. With the numerous brush brands available in the market, finding the best boat cleaning brush for your needs can be daunting.
To help you with that, I have reviewed some of the best products on the market and created a quick buying guide to help you choose the right product for you. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- Best Boat Cleaning Brush Reviews of 2023
- 1. Shurhold 970 6” Deck Brush
- 2. Better Boat Deck Brush
- 3. Star Brite 3’-6’ Standard Extending Handle Brush
- 4. Shurhold 1960 Marine Brush
- 5. Star Brite Medium Standard 8” Brush
- 6. Superio 187 Deck Scrub Brush
- 7. CARCAREZ Low Thru Dip Car Wash Brush Head
- 8. EVERSPROUT 5-to-12 Foot Scrub Brush
- 9. MEIBEI Deck Brush
- 10. Five Oceans Deluxe Deck Brush Kit
- What to Look for When Buying a Boat Cleaning Brush
- Other Important Factors to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
Best Boat Cleaning Brush Reviews of 2023
1. Shurhold 970 6” Deck Brush
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to wash your Plexiglas and isinglass, then this Shurhold 970 6” deck brush is your ultimate solution. This brush features blue nylon bristles that are perfect for delicate surfaces that are prone to damage.
Just like other Shurhold brushes, this brush is made of solid wood block and features a protective rubber wraparound bumper. This unique feature ensures that you don’t damage or mark the surface of your boat.
The shur-lock-system is another unique feature that makes the brush compatible with any Shurhold handle. Once you find the right handle, you will be able to complete the job quickly and easily without much effort.
- Comes with extra soft bristles
- Works great on delicate surfaces like Plexiglas and isinglass
- Solid and durable woodblock
- Split fibers that hold more water
- Locks into any Shurhold handle
- Includes a protective white rubber bumper
- Only suitable for delicate surfaces
2. Better Boat Deck Brush
If you are familiar with boat cleaning products, you have probably heard about the Better Boat Company. Better Boat offers an exceptional line of marine care products designed with boaters in mind. This deck brush from Better Boat is an essential boat cleaning kit to have in your boat at all times.
The head of this soft textured bristle deck brush measures 8 inches wide at the base. Designed for boat cleaning, it can quickly break up and lift away grease, grime, algae, scum, and bird droppings.
As with other high quality brushes, this brush lifts ways dirt on boat decks without damaging or harming the painted hulls or gel coat. This makes it ideal for cleaning the interior or exterior of boats as well as the exterior or RVs.
One thing I like about this product is the 3/4-inch acme thread on the head that fits numerous universal pole tips. This allows you to attach it to a telescoping handle, standard rod mop, or any handle that fits the thread.
I find it quite fascinating that this brush can be used with boat cleaning products or with water alone. Due to this, you can use it anywhere in your boat’s surface to get rid of dirt and debris from the deck, hull, or gallery floor. It also does a great job at eliminating dirt from other surfaces like aluminum, wood, tile, grout, vinyl, metal, fiberglass, and glass.
Some cleaning brush heads are likely to damage and leave unsightly marks after cleaning. However, this is not the case with the Better Boat brush head. Better Boat has designed its brush head with a thick rubber bumper to prevent the surface from getting damaged while cleaning.
- Features soft textured bristles
- Effectively lifts away dirt, algae, grease, and scum
- Nice rubber bumper for protecting surfaces
- Floats on water
- Includes a 3/4-inch acme thread
- The brush does not accommodate all threaded handles
3. Star Brite 3’-6’ Standard Extending Handle Brush
This brush from Star Brite offers a quick and easy way to transform the exterior and interior of your boat. Measuring 8 inches, this deluxe brush is great for all-purpose deck cleaning, thanks to its high-density Star prene fibers.
As a lightweight polymer fiber, Star prene is preferred by most boater and detailers because it doesn’t discolor, stain, or become brittle with continued use. Also, unlike other materials, it can withstand most cleaning chemicals and does not absorb odors or rot. Better yet, it can endure heat of up to 200F.
This product features a handle that extends from 3 inches (94cm) to 6 inches (163cm). This means that you can adjust the handle depending on how far you want to reach. Plus, the handle is made of aircraft-grade triple-anodized aluminum to ensure that it lasts long. The 2 non-slip hand grip provides a firm and comfortable grip, and you will also get to enjoy a positive twist lock.
- An 8-inch brush head
- Features a 3”-6” triple anodized aluminum extending handle
- 2 nonslip comfortable grip
- Its twist lock system can hold tight
- Resistant to chemicals, rot, mildew, stain, and discoloration
- Endures temperatures up to 200 degrees
- Retracts when too much pressure is applied
- Its adjustable handle may stop working after sometime
4. Shurhold 1960 Marine Brush
Shurhold is an industry leader that produces the best marine brushes in the market today. With this marine brush product, you can give your boat a sparkling new look. It is perfect for scrubbing below the gunnel storage in order to help you retain the value of your boat or car.
What I especially love about this 6-inch marine brush is the fact that its split end fibers are specifically designed to hold more soap and water. The split fibers also help increase the surface area to allow for a more thorough and deep clean. Therefore, once you apply soap, the brush can clean a large surface of your boat without needing reapplication.
While it is effective enough to clean and polish your boat, this brush is soft enough. Aside from that, unlike using a non-microfiber towel, the fibers do not dig into the surface. Hence, the brush can safely be used on painted surfaces, gel coat, and fiberglass without damaging the polish or wax.
A great feature that makes the Shurhold brush stand out from the competition is its 48-inch threaded wood handle. The longer length of the handle comes in handy for scrubbing the outside of your boat. Plus, the handle and the brush come as one piece.
Another reason why you will love this brush is because it comes with a rubber bumper to prevent the brush from causing scratches or scrapes on your prized possession.
- Safe to use on painted surfaces, fiberglass, and gel coat
- Features a protective ring
- Includes a 48-inch wood handle
- Soft split fibers
- Bristles may wear out over time
5. Star Brite Medium Standard 8” Brush
If you are looking for the best boat deck brush, look no further. This brush by Star Brite is all you need to clean your boat whether on the trailer or on water. As with other Star Brite brushes, this 8-inch brush has its own bristle stiffness that makes it suitable for use on a variety of applications.
The bristles of this medium wash brush are soft enough to give it a great cleaning ability without scratching the surface of your boat.
Unlike other cleaning brushes, the Star Brite Standard brush is made with Star prene which is a lightweight polymer fiber that is resistant to discoloration, stains, rot, cleaning chemicals, and mildew. Apart from that, it is capable of withstanding heat of up to 200 degrees and has the ability to absorb odors.
This unit is one of the best-selling brushes on the market due to its ability to fit every Extend-A-Brush handle. Therefore, you can trust that it is comfortable to use and will deliver an exceptional cleaning solution for your fiberglass boat.
- Fits all Extend-A-Brush handles
- Soft textured bristles and won’t scratch your gel coat surface
- Resistant to cleaning chemicals, rot, mildew, and discoloration
- Can last for a long time
- Its soft bristles may not provide scrubbing ability
6. Superio 187 Deck Scrub Brush
In my opinion, this is the best boat deck brush for cleaning surfaces where you’re not concerned about scratching. Superio is the brush that scrubs harder in order to get rid of stubborn stains and grime in patio and decks.
Just as its name suggests, it has a superior performance and can do heavy-duty scrubbing without bending. Therefore, as you scrub harder on large areas, the heavy-duty bristles take over without bending at all.
Also, with most brushes, you are required to bend in order to clean effectively. However, with this brush, you can give your deck and patio a sparkling new look without having to bend your back. This makes it a great time and energy saver all at once.
What I love most about this deck scrub brush is that it has a protective side rubber bumper. This rubber bumper protects the deck and patio from marks caused by the brush head during cleaning. The 48-inch handle makes cleaning a breeze.
- Stiff and unbending scrubbing bristles
- Features a protective rubber side bumper
- Suitable for tackling stubborn dirt and grime
- Includes a 48-inch metal long handle
- Does the job without requiring you to bend over
- Not suitable for surfaces that are prone to scratching
7. CARCAREZ Low Thru Dip Car Wash Brush Head
The CARCAREZ low thru dip car wash brush is a multipurpose 10-inch brush that I would highly recommend to those who want maximum cleaning for their boat, car, and truck. It has become a favorite to most boat and car owners due to its super soft bristles.
It also guarantees more function than most brands in the market. You can trust that it has excellent cleaning ability and will not damage the paint of the surface being cleaned. It measures 10 inches wide, allowing it to cover a large area quickly.
What I like about the CARCAREZ brush is that compared to most wash brush heads it has the ability to hold soap and water as you move the brush from the bucket to the vehicle. This means that trips to the soap bucket will be significantly reduced and no water will run from the stick to your arm.
It also stands out from the other brushes as it features bi-level soft bristles on the side of the head. This enables it to easily get to the nooks and crannies in your SUV or car. The side bristles also prevent scratching the surface with the plastic brush head.
For easy cleaning, you can attach a standard 3/4-inch acme male threaded handle that will enable you to access hard-to-reach areas and save you from back pain. I also like the fact that this brush head is available in a single and double pack depending on your needs.
- A top-quality brush for cleaning boats and cars
- Very soft and nice bristles
- Features soft bristles around the sides to preventing banging with the hard plastic
- Multipurpose brush for use on boat exterior, auto car, SUVs, and RV cleaning
- Gentle on paint and delicate surfaces
- Its screw hole is too small
- The thread is incompatible with most generic handles
8. EVERSPROUT 5-to-12 Foot Scrub Brush
The EVERSPROUT brush is one of the best boat cleaning tools that guarantee exceptional cleaning solution for marine boats, siding, patios, RVs, driveways, and more. This brush is a great option for surfaces that are susceptible to scratching since it features super soft bristles.
I highly recommend it for all your detailing needs. The 12-inch wide head brush is like no other and is able to cover a large surface area pretty fast. Designed with a rubber bumper, this deck brush is safe to use on numerous surfaces and prevents scratching while cleaning.
This item comes with a high-quality and lightweight pole that weighs 1.5 pounds. The 3-stage aluminum extension pole extends from 5 to 12 feet in order to give you a steady reach. Plus, it can reach 18 to 20 foot.
Therefore, you can avoid the dangers of using a ladder and be able to reach higher areas with your feet on the ground. Better yet, the handle provides a non-slip foam grip so as to ensure comfort during cleaning.
- Ideal for use on RVs, marine boats, bathrooms, sidings, and more
- Extremely durable
- Includes a high-quality and lightweight 3-stage aluminum extension pole
- Doesn’t scratch
- Non-slip comfort grip
- The pole is likely to bend at higher levels
9. MEIBEI Deck Brush
If you are looking for a multipurpose brush that is suitable for use on boats, deck, and patio, then the MEIBEI deck brush should be on your list. The brush features a 10-inch heavy-duty head with medium textured synthetic fibers bristles. In fact, this item has been rated as the perfect scrubbing solution for both smooth and rough surfaces.
While designing this brush, MEIBEI used a scientific design concept to give the bristles a staggered pattern in order to ensure that they are more in contact with the floor surface. It is, therefore, able to able to do a great job at cleaning smooth and rough surfaces when compared to straight bristles.
For this reason, it can be used for both outdoor and indoor surfaces of industrial and commercial settings. It is the best option when you want to clean boats, driveways, patios, garages, hotels, decks, schools, offices, hallway, and more.
The other feature that I like is the 51-inch thick metal handle that can give the brush the stability to do a thorough job. The length can be adjusted based on the job you are completing. The handle is removable and very easy to carry for easy storage.
- Comes with a metal handle for stability and reliability
- Stiff bristles for indoor and outdoor cleaning
- Great grip
- Scientific design concept
- The end that screws other handle parts are likely to become loose
10. Five Oceans Deluxe Deck Brush Kit
This 10-inch medium-duty deluxe deck brush kit from Five Oceans allows you to take on stubborn dirt on your deck. Designed with a soft brush and squeegee, you can be assured to achieve scrubbing power without worrying about scratching the surface. The brush is also designed with a telescoping handle that measures 2’ 5” (725mm) to 3’ 8” (1108mm).
Another interesting feature is the simple screw on/off quick connector that gives you the ability to attach the squeegee, mop, and boat hooks with ease. It also features an On/Off switch for the water attachment. Aside from that, there’s the quick release function found in the hose adapter. All these make this product one of the essential boat cleaning tools.
If space is an issue, then you will absolutely love this 10-inch brush. Due to its size, it can fit well in small spaces as compared with other deck brushes.
- Includes a soft brush with squeegee
- Features a 2’ 5” to 3’ 8” telescopic handle
- The hose adapter comes with a quick-release function
- Great for storing in small spaces
- The joints loosen up and don’t hold water well
- Its bristles might be too soft
What to Look for When Buying a Boat Cleaning Brush
With so many brands of boat cleaning brushes in the market, finding the brush to meet your needs will demand careful consideration. Without further ado, below are some of the most important factors you should keep in mind when choosing a boat scrub brush.
- The Materials Used for Your Boat
One of the things that you need to consider before buying boat bottom cleaning tools is the material that makes up your boat. This will help you identify the right brush designed for the specific material so as to ensure effective cleaning and avoid damaging your boat. For instance, a medium brush with soft bristles would be a great choice for a fiberglass boat.
On the other hand, a brush with heavy-duty bristles would be ideal for metal boats.
- The Durability of the Brush
The boat wash brush you choose should be very strong and long-lasting so as to serve you for years to come. Make sure that the bristle material is sturdy enough to hold up against saltwater, chemical agents, sun exposure, and repeated use.
When looking for the best boat brush, functionality and practicality are important considerations. You want a brush that is designed with features that are essential to your specific needs. For instance, a brush head that has a universal fit for handles will enable you to get the job done quickly and easily.
- Comfortable Grip
Before you make a final choice, it is always advisable to look for a boat brush that has a comfortable grip. A grip that is not secure or comfortable can lead to injuries and fatigue. It is best to test the brush head as well as the handle and see if you are able to use it comfortably. Keep in mind that long and adjustable handles will allow you to make adjustments until you achieve a comfortable grip.
- Shape and Size
Boat cleaning brushes come in a variety of shapes and sizes for you to choose from. The choice depends on the type of surface you want to clean and the results that you are looking to achieve.
If you are a boat owner looking to reach hidden parts of your boat, a large and long handle brush would do the trick. Also, a large brush would be a great option if you are planning to clean a large surface.
It goes without saying that price plays a key role when deciding which boat cleaning brush to purchase. Beforehand, determine your budget and do extensive research to compare the features of products and their prices. This will help you identify a good quality brush that suits your needs. However, do not settle for the cheapest brush as it may not give you the best value for your money.
Other Important Factors to Consider
What is a Boat Cleaning Brush?
A boat cleaning brush is a cleaning tool that is used by boaters to get rid of dirt, debris, scum, algae, and other stains from the interior and exterior of their boat. There are different types of boat cleaning brushes that are designed to remove grit and dirt from soft and hard surfaces.
How Does It Work?
A boat cleaning brush works with the help of its bristles which are specially designed for a boat’s smooth surface. Compared to the traditional cleaning brush, the bristles in a boat cleaning brush aren’t abrasive in order to prevent scratching a boat’s surface.
To effectively clean a boat using a boat cleaning brush, here are some steps you want to follow:
- Use a hose or bucket of water to rinse your boat and get rid of loose dirt that has accumulated on the surface of the boat.
- Mix chemical agents or soap with water in a bucket. Once it has formed a solution, dip the brush of your choice. Take note that you should only use soap which is specially made for boat cleaning as other cleaners can damage boat surfaces.
- Use the brush to apply soap and water to the parts of the boat that need cleaning. Make sure that you clean each area at a time and rinse immediately to avoid leaving a soapy residue.
- Avoid applying too much pressure when cleaning glass or other delicate areas. If you find stains in these areas, use a soft brush to prevent scratching and damage.
- Once you have cleaned all surfaces, allow water to run down from the hose and rinse the boat.
- Also, rinse your brush in clean water to extend its use.
What are the Different Types of Boat Cleaning Brushes?
Typically, there are different types of boat cleaning brushes to suit different cleaning requirements. There’s the soft cleaning brush that is best suited for use on delicate surfaces such as fiberglass, glass, isinglass, gel coat, and clear coat.
There’s also the medium brush which features soft/medium bristles for doing light scrubbing on textured and non-skid surfaces. The other type of boat cleaning brush is the extra stiff brush which is perfect for removing tough stains on the teak and below the waterline.
Also, boat car brushes can be classified into interior and exterior brushes. While the interior brushes have soft bristles and can be used to clean inside the boat, exterior brushes have different bristles and are used to clean the outside part of the boat.
Most of the exterior brushes have tough and sturdy bristles to allow you to effectively remove dirt and grease.
Why Do You Need a Boat Cleaning Brush?
There are numerous benefits that you can enjoy by using a boat cleaning brush. They include the following:
- Removes Dirt and Grime with Ease
A quality boat brush can effectively break up and lift away dirt and stains that accumulate on the surface of your boat. Unlike other cleaning solutions, a boat brush can clean your boat in an effective manner without causing any damage to your boat paint.
- Reaches Hidden Zones
A brush head is the most effective way to clean hard-to-reach areas on your boat. If you are targeting hidden zones and surfaces on top of the boat, you might want to consider a brush that comes with an extension pole. Brushes with an adjustable handle will give you the ability to reach every nook in an effectual manner.
Most boat cleaning brushes provide the cleaning that your boat needs without causing any damage to its paint or gel coat. For added safety, it is a good idea to choose a brush that features a protective rubber bumper. This ensures that the brush does not scratch or scrape the surface during cleaning.
Apart from cleaning boats, most boat wash brushes can also be used to clean others surfaces like your car, RV, siding, patios, bathroom, and many more. This undoubtedly gives you the best value for your money.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the most trusted boat cleaning brush brands?
A: When it comes to boat brushes, there are numerous brands available in the market that you can choose from. Some of the most trusted brands for boat cleaning brushes include the following:
- Shurhold – the brushes from Shurhold are very popular among detailers and boaters since they come with a number of unique features. When it comes to design and function, Shurhold takes the lead. Their unique cleaning system has seen the top of the marine industry. With this, you can never go wrong with their products.
- Star Brite – Star Brite is one of the leading manufacturers that have grown in popularity worldwide due to their quality marine products. Their boat washing brush is designed with Star prene bristles that are resistant to heat, mildew, chemicals, and stains. Also, their brushes are designed with durability in mind.
- Better Boat – if you want your deck to be spotless, the Better Boat line of products has got you covered.
Q: Can I use boat cleaning brush on car surfaces?
A: Yes, there are some boats cleaning brushes that can be used to clean car surfaces. The best way to know if you can use your boat brush on your car is by checking with the manufacturer as well as reading the reviews of other users. You also want to inspect your brush carefully first before using it on other surfaces like your car.
Q: How to use?
A: Cleaning your boat regularly is a necessary process if you want to keep it looking good and increase its longevity. However, you need to be careful; otherwise, you will cause scratches and other damages. Here are some necessary steps for using a boat wash brush effectively:
- First, you have to wash off any dirt or debris that has accumulated on the exterior of your boat. Starting from the top to the bottom, use a hose to rinse off your boat with clean water.
- Mix a boat cleaning soap with water and dip the wash brush.
- Begin by washing the surface of your boat without missing any parts.
- Allow the soap to work, then scrub if necessary.
- Rinse the cleaned boat surface with clean water.
- After cleaning your boat, it is a great idea to apply a protective wax coating, especially if you didn’t use an all-in-one formula during the cleaning process.
Q: Where to buy?
A: In order to effectively clean your boats’ deck, stern, and hull, you need to have the right boat hull cleaning brush and deck scrub brush. In order to keep your boat in tip-top shape, you need to make your purchase from a supplier that offers a plethora of boat cleaning products and underwater boat cleaning tools.
While there are many suppliers that carry products from leading manufacturers, Amazon is the most trusted and reliable supplier. Having been in the industry for so long, Amazon is renowned for providing high quality marine products from brands like Star Brite, Shurhold, Better Boat, Meguiar’s, Flitz Products, and many more.
Q: How do I know the best brush that will not damage my boat’s surface?
A: Basically, using a brush with soft bristles is a good choice for you to achieve cleaning without the possibility of scratches. It is also a wise idea to check the reviews of other customers who have used the brush and see what they have to say about it.
For any angler, cleaning your boat regularly is a good practice in order to keep it looking brand new. To keep your boat squeaky clean, you will need the best boat cleaning brush that is capable of removing any dirt and grime present.
When selecting the best cleaning brush for your needs, you have to consider various factors such as durability, comfort, functionality, and size. With the abovementioned boat wash brush reviews, looking for the right products that can meet your needs will be a lot easier.
I am Dave, Marine Talk’s content creator. Boating experiences matter when planning a boat trip for your family or going by yourself. Therefore, I am here to tackle all things relevant to boating so even the inexperienced ones can start their boating safely.