Repainting your surfaces to return them to their original aesthetics whether for boats, workplaces or households; buying the right paint is one of the top priorities that must be highly considered. Be that as it may, please note that when it comes to watercrafts, there is more to it than merely focusing on how it would look. That said, investing in the best boat deck paint is quite fundamental.
It matters to understand that a boat deck especially requires complete protection for it to fight onerous conditions from harsh weather conditions, anchors and foot traffic. Fortunately, with the aid of top quality deck paint, you can provide your vessel an utmost protection against rugged marine environment. Such paint is readily available in many distinct colors and finishes to significantly fit your needs and style.
Non-slip features, water resistance as well as massive protection are just a few of the most substantial considerations to look into when picking the most outstanding paint for your boat deck. In this article, we would explore more on valuable features, pros and cons that you need to have a closer look at. Read the product reviews, buying tips and other related boat deck paint information that are shared in this post to make your shopping experience trouble-free.
- Best Boat Deck Paint Reviews of 2020
- 1. TotalBoat Total Tread Non Skid Deck Paint
- 2. Rust-Oleum Marine Topside Paint
- 3. TUFF Coat UT-100 Non-Skid Coating
- 4. Kiwi Grip Non-Skid Deck System
- 5. Evercoat Skid-No-More Rubberized Non-Skid Coating
- 6. Interlux Interdeck Slip Resistant Deck Paint
- 7. Durabak Depot TEXTURED Non Slip Coating
- 8. Pettit Paint EZ-Decks
- 9. LR Liquid Rubber Smooth Polyurethane Deck Sealant
- 10. KILZ Over Armor Smooth Wood/Concrete Coating
- What to Look for When Buying Boat Deck Paints
- Other Important Factors to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Boat Deck Paint Reviews of 2020
1. TotalBoat Total Tread Non Skid Deck Paint
If you are presently fishing for premium quality paint for boat deck, then you do not have to look further and check out what this boat deck paint product by TotalBoat can offer you. This is proudly manufactured using only very distinctive kind of formulation that makes it quite sturdy and is not very much prone to corrosion or abrasion.
For anyone who prefers boat deck paint that is smooth sailing to apply and clean up, then this is the one you have been looking for. It can cover 250 up to 300 square feet per gallon and it can ensure long-standing finish that won’t easily get peeled, faded or cracked. This is less abrasive as compared to other conventional silica additives.
2. Rust-Oleum Marine Topside Paint
If you hope to spend wisely on topnotch wood boat floor paint, then you can have a deeper inspection of what this product can provide you. This is quite flexible to use and it can be applied instantly with superior leveling capability. Its size is adequate enough to manage an area amounting to a hundred square feet and there is no need to wait for a very long period of time for it to dry since it can dry completely in a matter of a couple of hours.
If you prefer a paint product that could offer high gloss retention and can ensure sleek finish to sustain the impressive style and aesthetics of your surfaces, then this is your best choice. It’s actually what you need if you are looking to provide the most exceptional shield for your vessel.
3. TUFF Coat UT-100 Non-Skid Coating
Painting over non-skid deck does not need to be a painful process if you were able to pick the right paint product to accomplish the painting job. It is manufactured with water-based formulation that makes it a risk-free product to use. This is sterling at offering exhaustive ultraviolet and chemical resistance. Truth is, this boat paint is an ideal option that would significantly improve the toughness of the surface on which it is applied.
This product can be applied to a wide array of vessels such as boat decks, aluminum boats, Pontoon boats and duck boats. It is capable of holding up well and can offer long-standing moisture protection. This is manufactured to be slip-resistant and dries in no time. You can get it in many different colors.
More than that, it comes with rubberized traction feature that could add a layer of security and safety for passengers on board. It is good to note that this paint product is proudly manufactured in the USA.
4. Kiwi Grip Non-Skid Deck System
This Kiwi Grip paint is a little expensive than other similar products. However, it is well worth every single penny paid for it because it works superbly and can exceed your expectations.
Since this is manufactured as a single-component system, it can be effortlessly applied in one coat on most surfaces. You can apply the texture with the aid of the Kiwi Grip roller. This is safe to use since it is made to be eco-friendly and you can select from a total of 5 awesome colors. You can set aside some money because it helps minimize the finished expense of non-skid application.
When applying it, you won’t have troubles in obtaining as much or as little texture as you require. This paint is good at going easy with the aid of a roller and it comes with a good grip too.
5. Evercoat Skid-No-More Rubberized Non-Skid Coating
If you want to ensure making the right investment for a boat deck coating, then do not simply ignore this product. This is a stellar acrylic latex coating that comes with ground rubber for traction. It can be applied on metals, previously primed surfaces, fiberglass, concrete and wood. It is designed to be non-abrasive, quite resilient and soft.
What is more, it wonderfully works in industrial surface areas such as flooring. If you want, it could be color tinted using coloring agents by Evercoat. There is no need to prime and it can be applied like a latex paint. Please be guided that a couple of coats are recommended if you want to ensure a carpet-like appearance for the final finish.
6. Interlux Interdeck Slip Resistant Deck Paint
Nowadays, it could be challenging to find the best paint for boat floor given there are countless of brands claiming that they are the most outstanding pick in the field. Fortunately, this product won’t prolong the burden of searching for the most suitable product for you because it is deemed as one of the easiest non-skid paints to use and apply.
What makes this product a wise investment is that it is an ideal approach to make your decks look like new again. However, be sure to apply at least two coats to guarantee long-standing effect. When applying it, one of the greatest challenges you will ever encounter is the taping job. Fundamentally, the paint goes on perfectly and you can delight in a superb coverage. This appears to be one of the most low cost means to bring an age-old vessel back to life.
7. Durabak Depot TEXTURED Non Slip Coating
This marine paint for wood decks comes with costly selling cost. However, if you’re going to think deeply, this is a money-saver considering it can handle unlimited applications. Even though you will spend a little extravagantly for it, this can guarantee professional grade finish.
This is highly ideal for applications in direct sunlight or for various outdoor applications. Its textured version comes with recycled rubber tire granules and is completely flexible, solid, water-resistant and non-slip. This can be your perfect DIY painting project partner.
8. Pettit Paint EZ-Decks
Shopping for marine decking paint can be a real hassle particularly if you don’t exactly know the necessary features that you need to look for. If you prefer a paint product that could provide you with supreme protection from various sorts of hazardous elements, then this option won’t leave you feeling disappointed.
The reason why this product is a great deal to consider is that it offers very solid protection against all dangerous elements in the surroundings. In fact, it is highly recognized for being incredibly sturdy polyurethane high performance deck finish. And, the best of all, it provides the most uncomplicated means to acquire maximum outcomes with less effort.
9. LR Liquid Rubber Smooth Polyurethane Deck Sealant
This boat deck paint is a good catch because it is perfect for a lot of applications, it’s a duck soup to apply and can ensure superior performance. This can offer the necessary protection to whatever application it may serve.
In order to ensure a satisfying coverage, this paint requires at least two to three heavy coats. Be that as it may, if you need to waterproof some areas, approximately 3 to 4 coats is highly suggested. Many consumers who have used this product admire its sturdy and solid water-resistant surface that comes with out of the ordinary ultraviolet stability.
10. KILZ Over Armor Smooth Wood/Concrete Coating
This is perfect for dealing with cracked or weathered vertical or horizontal wood and composite surfaces like porches, railings, decks, boat docks, and various concrete surfaces. Its solid color does a great job of bridging cracks, concealing glitches and providing a well-balanced look to old and unsightly looking concrete and weathered woods.
The negative aspects that can be encountered in this paint product include its not being manufactured for drivable surfaces and it especially calls for serious preparation before you start the painting process.
What to Look for When Buying Boat Deck Paints
Prior to spending lavishly on boat deck paint, check out some of the shopping guides below:
- Ultimate protection. Surely, it is a must to go for options that are capable of providing the best possible shield for your deck and guarantee that it could last for many years to come.
When it comes to protection features, go for those that can provide shield against UV rays, foot traffic and many different rough weather conditions and other potential damages. Choose the ones that are manufactured to be superiorly durable and to support this durability to last, consider getting a boat cover so you can shield it when not in use.
- Color. When selecting any paint, color would be one of the essential considerations so you can ensure that it looks good and can blend well with the surrounding it is in.
Luckily, boat deck paints come in distinct colors so you can get the one that best suits your taste to how you want the vessel to appear like. If you want to replace the color of your paint, you can select from a broad array of options.
- Non-slip feature. Opt for alternatives that are stellar at providing massive shield from slipping in order to provide you confidence when setting up or walking over a deck chair.
Since it is inevitable for boat decks to get drenched, it is just right to provide it with the most superior level of protection from any unfortunate incidents that could emerge. A superior level of slip resistance is a critical component of what makes impressive deck paint.
- Water Resistance. Since your boat deck would always come in contact with generous amount of water, it is important to pick deck paint that can resist water. Indeed, there are many regular paint products that would instantly erode or chip after contact with water and; hence, this is another aspect that these paints need to transcend.
It would be unpleasant idea to use a regular paint on a boat deck. So, it is highly suggested to invest in a specialized deck paint to allow it to work as expected.
- Quality. It is worth noting that buying quality would be imperative to not solely making your vessel appear more stunning but also to keep you safe as probable. Water resistance, massive protection and slip resistance are all valuable and they are facets that won’t be found on less expensive or poor quality paint. For instance, if you are getting non-skid paint for aluminum boats, choose the one that’s made with top quality.
Balancing your safety and good final outcome for your boat deck can be a bit tricky. Thus, it is a must to purchase a product that comes with premium quality.
Other Important Factors to Consider
What is boat deck paint?
Boat deck paint is especially manufactured to help safeguard the surface from daily wear and tear. In general, such product is a piece of cake to use and apply, available in a number of different color options and can help protect the boat from harmful UV rays, too much wind and water exposure and foot traffic.
Such paint is valuable for any marine watercraft. It does wonderful job of eradicating flex damage, freeze as well as crack damages. Besides, it also helps ward off lateral leaking issues.
How does it work?
Deck paint is a vital component of watercraft maintenance since this does not only aim to provide the vessel an outstanding overall appearance but also to help keep it safe to use and ride as probable. This type of paint works by being resistant to water, it comes with incredible durability and is reliable at providing boat owners a surface that is non-slip.
It works by providing the kind of protection that your boat deck needs and fight off UV rays, too much exposure to strong wind and water, foot traffic, harsh weather conditions and other potentially damaging factors in the surroundings.
What are the different types of boat deck paints?
You can come across many different types of boat deck paints on the market these days. In point of fact, some of them are designed and manufactured to be equipped with non-skid features, built with incredible durability that could make them last for many years, capable of providing remarkable protection against mold, rot, various sorts of damages, UV rays, excessive exposure to strong wind and water currents and many other hazardous elements that could potentially damage the vessel.
When checking out different types of boat deck paints, see to it that they are specifically designed for these purposes. In other words, opt for the one that is made to be a specialized deck paint product so that it could work as expected. Various types of deck paints also come in various colors, sizes and price ranges for you to choose from.
Some of the most popular boat deck paints sold on the market to date consist of linear polyurethane, oil-based paints and acrylics. While it is true that some of these variants would require you to invest in non-slip additives, at present, most of the topnotch paint brands are non-slip as standard to allow ease of use and application.
It is significant to understand that Polyurethane paints are well-known for their superior level of water resistance, oils and solvents, UV light that make them even a more renowned option due to their amazing durability and hardwearing characteristics. Some of them even offer very impressive and low-sheen finish.
Why do you need marine deck paint? (Benefits)
Painting your boat deck could be a smart decision. For a fact, paint comes with a number of perks over the other finish alternatives like sealer or stain; still and all, it might not be for you if you seriously prefer a natural-looking boat deck. Whether you are looking for coating for aluminum boat deck or whatever paint product, note that there are considerations to look through first.
As mentioned, painting a boat deck is not merely about significantly enhancing the overall appearance of the vessel but to also ensure that it is provided with great protection that would safeguard it from any elements that could rot, disintegrate or seriously damage it in the long run.
Let us delve into the benefits of painting your boat deck:
- Paint is good at filling cracks as well as gaps. It is a thicker finish which simply means that it could be generally practical to use for repairing wood that has already tarnished or ravaged slightly by different elements. And, there are a few types of paint that are specifically formulated to execute that purpose.
- Painting enables boat owners to utilize any color they prefer. And, due to the fact that paint is solid, you could totally cover the wood itself or replace an age-old color, which clearly conveys that your preferences are broadly opened.
- Paint can actually provide more protection for the wood. In general, paint works like a charm in fighting off mold, rot as well as UV damage. Nonetheless, other kinds of superior quality finishes could also execute a wonderful job of safeguarding your wood.
- Paint is often times not that complex to clean up. And, hinging on the color, paint could be less exhausting to clean. Most importantly, if the paint is made of high quality and is adept at curing accordingly prior putting it into use, then it becomes even more capable to form a tough shell that filth commonly just washes right off of.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most trusted paint for boat deck brands?
If you are currently in search of the most trusted, most reliable and built to last boat deck paint products, then see to it to only invest in premium quality brands that are renowned globally. While it is a fact that majority of them can be quite pricey, these are adept at providing the best possible performance and final result.
A few of the most highly acclaimed manufacturers when it comes to boat deck paint product include:
- TUFF Coat
Now that you already have idea of some of the most credible trusted and highly capable boat deck paint brands, you have no reason to end up buying the wrong option that won’t meet your requirements and satisfy your expectations. Go for any of the brands mentioned if you want to make a worthwhile investment.
What is the best anti-slip decking paint for boat?
The best anti-slip decking paint for boat comes with the following features: user-friendly, water-resistant, built to last, low cost, comes with ultimate UV protection, dries instantly, weatherproof, comes with anti0mold and anti-fungus features, looks natural, and resistant to moist.
Investing in the most appropriate decking paint could remarkably help boat owners oil, stain and treat the deck to shield it all year round. In addition to this, boat deck paint also aids in saving the floor from developing fungus and rotting, and it could aid keep the deck risk-free to use for a longer period of time.
In truth, the right boat deck paint would also shield the deck from peeling; flaking and it could offer an exceptional friction and grip while moving about. The suitable boat deck paint would also be adept at delivering a sturdy surface in the long run.
How do you paint a boat floor?
Here are the useful guides when painting a boat deck:
- Remove all the hardware. Prior to starting the painting project, the first thing you’ll need to do is to remove all the hardware. Sliding doors and aluminum window frames locates close by the boat deck should also be removed. Other plastic components may also be removed to avoid looking messy because of paint.
- Work on all the necessary repairs. If you notice any indications of damage to the vessel, it is time to fix it. Repair the rotting areas and other damaged edges to enable your paint job to last longer.
- c Make sure to execute the painting job in a proper location. Ideally speaking, a spot that is sheltered till the painting job is accomplished is better. If not possible, then make sure that when you work, the weather won’t meddle. Watch for wind and rain. The best period to paint is on sunny days.
- Figure out the right time of the painting job. If you work in the midst or late morning, the dew should be evaporated. Since noon time is considered the hottest, avoid painting on that period. On the other hand, late afternoon is also not advisable due to the fact moisture in the air and cooling temperatures would have a great impact on your final finish and the amount of time it consumes to dry.
- Do the required preparations. Preparation would consume more time in the entire painting project. So, if you are dreaming of rewarding final outcomes, you better do the preparation process right. Be sure to tape off all the spots that you do not want to paint and only use the suitable tape for the task.
- See to it that all the residues and dust are completely cleared away. Do the sanding and vacuuming when preparing. Make certain to utilize something bulky like a bath towel in order to easily swat the surface that you are painting. This is effective in clearing away the dust that has accumulated to the vessel. Sweep and vacuum repeatedly if necessary. The surface should be thoroughly wiped with a tidy fabric.
- Always read the directions from the manufacturer. This is to ensure that you’ll encounter a smooth sailing application process and obtain delighting final results. It would be in your best interest to adhere to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Always mix paints in tiny amounts. It is not advised to mix more than you feel you would utilize during the four-hour period. To prevent the paint from getting clumpy, always mix the paint all through the process.
Begin with a roller and always deal with the edges first. You could utilize a brush in order to instantly get in the corners if needed. Once done, you could now move up to the bigger roller to work in the center of the vessel. Generally, more than a single coat is needed.
- Remove the tape immediately. If you allow it to remain there for a long time. It would be a little tough to remove it later
- Finally, just wait for about one day to two days for the paint to fully dry to the period that you could already walk on it. You may consider using a tarp over the deck to inhibit residues or bugs from landing on the newly painted area. This is also applicable when storing the vessel in a shelter. It would help keep the vessel from various sorts of filth and dust.
What is the warranty?
When shopping for boat deck paints, it is highly recommended to check out if the product is supported by a warranty. You are probably knowledgeable of the fact that warranties serve as your protection whenever you shop for a certain product from a local or online shopping store. Since you work hard for the money you pay for when you go shopping, it is just right that sellers provide you the best products that would give back the real value of your hard-earned money.
If the product is supported by a warranty, then you can rest assure that in case you encounter some issues with regards to the product purchased, you can have the problem solved by the seller in a timely manner. This is the reason why you better read the product description first if it is supported by a warranty before taking the plunge.
Where to buy?
You can search for various boat deck paint brands in many leading and well-stocked marine supply stores in your area. While it is true that you can come across a number of options to select from; if you opt for more choices and brands to check out, it is highly suggested to look for them in legit and trusted online shopping sites like Amazon.
As you might already know, Amazon is one of the most credible online shopping sites where nearly all the products that you could ever need can be found. And, the best of all, it is the site where most of the globe’s best and highly acclaimed brands are found. If you want to look into more options for boat deck paint, you can start your search here.
How to care and maintain?
When you have invested your hard-earned money and most precious time into accomplishing the paint job in your boat deck, without any shadow of doubt, you want it to last for many more years to come. This is the reason why it is fundamental to take better care and maintenance of the deck after the paint job.
Here are some of the thoughts for you to ponder on if you wish to maintain the job you have accomplished when painting your boat deck:
- Pick a natural and soft-bristled brush or mop to accomplish the cleaning process with fewer struggles.
- As much as possible, avoid the use of chemical-based cleaners or detergents that are corrosive or abrasive when you are cleaning. Opt for cleaning agents that are designed for boat cleaning and use products that are safe to use for your craft.
- Skip very rough, stiff plastic brush to clean with since this has the tendency to corrode or damage your paint.
- See to it to make it a habit to clean the vessel more frequently. If you let filth to amass, this would merely deteriorate the paint. A lot of people uncover that a quick cleaning after each use is a vital phase to safeguard the paint. Evidently, you would want to add a deeper cleaning more often.
- It is highly recommended to keep the watercraft properly covered during the coldest season of the year or you may consider storing it in a safe shelter.
- It is critical that you rinse the boat thoroughly whenever you are cleaning it. Keep washing even after you feel it is totally washed. Make sure that there is no trace of debris left behind.
- Refrain from using chlorinated cleansers on non-skid paints precisely because these could bring about serious damages if they remain on the paint for a few minutes.
Ultimately, the deck of your vessel surely takes huge amount of damage over time and if it is not properly maintained, the deck could end up being wrecked and rotten and may also suffer from other sorts of serious damages. The good news is that applying the best boat deck paint is quite uncomplicated and fairly less expensive to do these days.
Needless to say, deck paint is a vital component of watercraft maintenance since you don’t only prefer to safeguard the surface of your vessel but you also wish it to be as safe as feasible. And, with the aid of a paint that is water-resistant, the surface that needs to be repainted would become highly durable and this would also provide you a surface that is non-slip.
Hopefully, this post has been able to provide you all the necessary details that you specifically require to purchase a high quality deck paint that’s going to be adept at accomplishing the job. Be sure to review each product and weigh the pros and cons. This is for you to pick the right paint that would work best to your advantage. Once you have painted your surface, without a doubt, your vessel would look like brand new again and you would be at peace knowing you are secure and safeguarded.