The best boat trailer bearings and hubs could definitely make the remarkable distinction between a destroyed and irking trip and taking pleasure in a fun-filled day on the water. This is the reason why it is necessary to carefully inspect your trailer bearings first before touring the waters.
For sure, no one wants to be stranded just because you have age-old and damaged vessel trailer hubs and bearings. Hence, it would be rewarding if you would consider checking your bearings for damages. If you wish to ensure a delightful trailering experience, then search for some playoffs on the surface of the braces as well as bearings.
Afterward, see to it to utilize top quality water-resistant marine-grade lube on the surface of the bearings so that you could effectively combat issues that have something to do with corrosion and rusting and, of course, to ward off water intrusion issues as well.
Do not ignore if you already notice some indications of bearing wear and urgently take action to replace them with high-quality vessel trailer hubs and bearings. This article would provide you some useful purchasing techniques and other valuable information when investing in the right vessel trailer bearings for your needs. So, keep reading!
Table of Contents
- Best Boat Trailer Bearing Reviews of 2023
- 1. LIBRA Set of 2 Trailer Idler Hub Kits
- 2. Rigid Hitch Pair of Trailer Bearing Repair Kits
- 3. XiKe 2 Set Trailer Wheel Hub Bearings Kit
- 4. Rigid Hitch Trailer Hub Kit
- 5. Eco Trailer Tire and Wheel
- 6. Southwest Wheel Bearing Kit for #84 Spindle
- 7. CE Smith Galvanized Trailer Hub Kit
- 8. WPS 3500# Trailer Tandem Axle Bearing Kits
- 9. Shoreline Marine One Cotter Pin Bearing Kit
- 10. Tie Down Engineering Vortex Hub Kit
- What to Look for When Buying a Boat Trailer Bearing
- Other Important Factors to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Boat Trailer Bearing Reviews of 2023
1. LIBRA Set of 2 Trailer Idler Hub Kits
If you are presently scouting for not so expensive hub kits for boat trailers, then this version can be your companion. It can be the ideal pick for beginners since it does not call for a very complex type of installation process.
If you need to replace age-old or damaged hubs or bearing on your vessel trailer, then this would make a great replacement for your current hub. It already comes pre-assembled once bought and comes with a detailed product description that greatly assists buyers to pick the one that best matches their requirements. It is good to note that it is all set to be installed and the bearings are already packed with marine grade grease that makes them fit to operate.
- Specifically designed for 3,500 pounds trailer axle
- Already comes complete with necessary accessories for installation
- Can perfectly fit a haulmark trailer
- Sold at a decent price
- A very practical replacement hub set to consider
- Prone to developing rust more instantly than expected
- Appears to be built with cheap quality
2. Rigid Hitch Pair of Trailer Bearing Repair Kits
Have you already found the most suitable boat trailers wheel bearings that can precisely cater to your needs? If not, you can give this option a deeper inspection so you could uncover how distinct it is compared to other competitors.
You’ll love the fact that it fits right on, includes all the components necessary, the bearings appear to be constructed with topnotch quality, capable of holding up well and is not susceptible to overheating problems. And, even if it is your first time to replace old bearings, this won’t be complicated to set up for beginners.
- A practical choice for on the road repairs
- Not prone to overheating
- Can provide the accurate fit
- Includes all components necessary for assembly
- Designed to be extra durable with good value for the money
- Grease seal sometimes does not fit a vessel trailer hub or axle
- Might not be that reliable to use for heavy duty trailer
3. XiKe 2 Set Trailer Wheel Hub Bearings Kit
Shopping for a boat trailer bearing kit that can execute its job well yet is not priced so expensively is actually not impossible these days. And, this trailer axle hub replacement product can be one of the most affordable options if you are short in budget.
If you give this trailer bearing a closer look, you will be stunned of its superb quality chrome steel built that provides it a very solid and sturdy look. Unlike other bearings out there, this is not prone to producing disturbing noise as it operates silently.
- Perfectly fits trailer axle hub wheel for 1-1/16”
- Does not call for intricate installation procedure
- High speed, durable and can operate in a quiet mode
- Made with superior quality chrome steel that makes it long-lasting
- Already comes with cotter pin and dust cover once purchased
- You need to ensure the grease seals fit the axle accurately
- Cotter pins do not come with thicker diameter
4. Rigid Hitch Trailer Hub Kit
If it is your wish to get your damaged trailer back on the road again in a safe and fast mode, then this trailer bearing can help you accomplish that goal. Installation is a breeze, for a fact, you would only require a big punch for the cap, hammer, and grease to seal to a one-inch axle.
Aside from this, if you begin observing this trailer bearing, you will see that it is well-crafted and capable of functioning accordingly. However, please note that you need to make it a point that you measure and obtain the appropriate size shaft and the like.
- Equipped with four bolt-ons 4-inch bolt circle
- Designed to have a completely assembled package
- Capable of fitting 2,000 pounds axles that comes with a 1-inch straight spindle
- Contains comprehensive product details in the package
- 4-1/4-inches in height through the midst of the hub
- Dust covers have to be sanded down to fit the inside section of the hub
- Not designed as marine-grade
5. Eco Trailer Tire and Wheel
If you would compare this boat trailer hub kit product to other available options, it is obvious that it comes with very steep selling cost. However, it already contains all the necessary accessories for complete assembly and you can make the task less stressful because it does not require complex installation methods.
As for the installation, this is good even for novices. It is all set already so there is no need to do a lot of work. They slid on without any difficulty and can be instantly tightened right up. Besides, it could back off on the middle nut to spec and the cover and cotter pin that need to be installed are also provided.
This is a must-have if you are looking for options that could work well in the marine environment. The bearings are set up and contain the cap, nuts, washers, and cotter pins. It looks great and capable of delivering its functions too. Also, it is good at impeding water intrusion issues too.
- Comes with two packs of trailer wheel hubs that are already pre-lubricated
- Built with high quality galvanized steel
- No sweat to install
- Contains other extra components required for installation
- Designed for long-term use on the vessel trailers
- Strictly requires reloading the bearings properly when installing
- Comes in costly price tag
6. Southwest Wheel Bearing Kit for #84 Spindle
Installing or replacing boat trailer bearings can be tricky particularly if all the tools and accessories needed for assembly must be bought separately. This is especially vexing for those who are not expert to execute the job; it is all thanks to this bearing kit, it already includes all the things that you need to accomplish the installation or replacement task without trouble.
Notwithstanding, you need to be informed that this boat trailer bearing especially calls for premium quality type of grease for it to work as expected and the dust caps are a little snug. These are just a few of the not so good sides of this product that you need to review before paying for one.
- Contains all the components required to the re-pack trailer axle
- Perfectly fit and work for boat trailers
- Capable of lasting for a few years of usage
- Bearings turn sleekly before lubricating them
- Great bearing kit for the price
- Seriously requires a top-quality type of lube
- Dust caps are slightly snug
Generally speaking, this product is a fascinating deal unlike purchasing everything separately. Since it already comes complete, all you need to do is to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to get the job done. If you are looking around bearing replacements and seals that can work like magic on a used trailer, then this can be beaten.
This would definitely help you guarantee a smoother riding or trailering experience. As for the price, it is not that overpriced and just right considering the many amazing features and benefits that come with it. So, this won’t be a problem if you have a limited budget.
7. CE Smith Galvanized Trailer Hub Kit
Of course, a boat trailer bearing that would work exceptionally would make a huge the difference in your trailering experience. The hubs appear well-built and effortless enough to assemble. In like manner, the bearing caps come with tight fit; however, it may require a generous amount of patience and labor getting them assembled after the hubs were fastened on the spindle.
This boat trailer wheel hub is a great value for the price since the bearings are already packed with the appropriate washers, nuts, seal, and lug nuts. It works well so it’s going to be practical if you need to go fishing or camping. The back seals are pressed in, so you would only need to lift the back seal and pack the bearing and from there replace the back seal.
- Contains dust cap, lug nuts, carry case and cotter pin
- Equipped with pre-lubricated bearings
- Uncomplicated and straightforward to install
- Can handle a capacity of 1,750 pounds
- Hubs contained are already completely assembled
- Comes pre-assembled but appears unprepared for the road
- One of the hubs seems incapable of holding the grease cap
Right-on this boat trailer hub replacement is the one you’re looking for if you want a simple and straightforward type of assembly. All the things you need are already contained in the box and it also comes with a handy carrying case.
Surely, it is good to replace the whole hub assembly without the need to get all messy rebuilding the age-old version. The good news is that this is the right pick if you wish your hub to go right on to the equipment trailer with no struggle.
8. WPS 3500# Trailer Tandem Axle Bearing Kits
If you are knowledgeable or able to conduct a detailed research about the appropriate boat trailer wheel bearings sizes for your boat trailer, then you can lessen the stress when shopping for the right bearing for your vessel trailer. As you know, this must be your top priority when buying one. So, see to it to know the size you need before taking the plunge.
Would you like to make installing trailer bearings on your RV become a plain sailing task for you to deal with? Then, search no further. This would accurately fit the races and wheel bearings on a 5th wheel. While it is true that they are Chinese type of bearings, they are built with superior quality.
- Perfect bearing kit for trailer axle with 3500#
- Comes with four pieces of the double lip grease seals
- Capable of retaining lube inside the hub
- Box contains four sets of internal races and internal bearings
- Includes a total of four sets of external races and external bearings
- The surface finish on bearings should be improved
- Bearings have the tendency to bend
To wrap up, this trailer wheel hub is equipped with reinforced spring that is located behind the lip and this is meant to help retain the lube inside the hub and it does an important job in safeguarding water and road smudge from penetrating. This means that it also helps solve water intrusion problems. These bearings seem to perform their job with the aid of sufficient lube and not installing them tightly.
Without question, this is everything you will ever require for double- axle trailer bearing replacement. You can be guaranteed of fast shipping and there is no need to break the bank.
9. Shoreline Marine One Cotter Pin Bearing Kit
Once you precisely figured out the right boat trailer hub size for you, then the rest of the process does not need to be filled with the hassle. This version would work wonders for you provided that you were able to set it up accordingly and performed the proper lube application.
Please be reminded that this is a Chinese type of bearing, so expect some minor gripes in the long run. The good thing about it is that it could provide the precise fit for the hub and spindle of a utility trailer.
- Installation can be done in a snap
- Perfectly suited for 1 1/16 x 1 inch tapered spindle and hub on a utility trailer
- Can serve as must-have spare sets to carry with you
- Can guarantee smooth sailing replacement procedure
- Hard to beat for the price
- Tends to burn up or overheat easily
- Not designed to be the fits-all type of trailer bearing set
Substantially, this vessel trailer bearing replacement is unbeatable as for the price tag. It is a must-consider spare set that would be beneficial to carry with you particularly if you frequently use your trailer. You won’t go wrong with the fit so long as you know the size you need and replacing the bearing would definitely go smoothly.
Make certain to adequately grease them prior to leaving for the journey though. If you are fishing for a wonderful fit for a utility trailer, then this might be the one you are seeking.
10. Tie Down Engineering Vortex Hub Kit
This brand won’t give you something to regret if you prefer to invest in premium quality Vortex boat trailer hubs. Many boat trailer owners who have used this brand in the past have attested to its incredible strength making it last for a longer period of time even under harsh and extreme temperatures.
By the same token, if you prefer something that could offer accurate fit, something that makes assembly and replacement procedure hassle-free and can be accomplished in a few minutes, then this product would help you achieve all of that. In terms of durability and functionality, this brand remains unmatched.
- Highly acclaimed for being made to last for many years
- Equipped with screw-on dust cover
- Could withstand rugged and extreme temperatures
- Can be mounted with much ease
- Installation and replacement can be done in minutes
- Not as outstanding as advertised
- Grease cap seems to be built with cheap quality
Overall, this bearing for a boat trailer is a wise investment worth spending for even though it is sold at a premium selling cost. It is well-engineered and able to function more outstandingly than other similar products sold these days. Surely, it comes with a few downsides but just trivial ones as compared to the perks it could offer its users. This could resist even the harshest temperature and has the capability to remain strong even when subjected to negative temperatures.
If you are into an accurate fit, straightforward assembly and uncomplicated replacement procedure that could all be accomplished in no time, then this can be your right partner to execute the job.
What to Look for When Buying a Boat Trailer Bearing
When you go searching for the right boat trailer bearings, there is a greater likelihood that you’ll find yourself perplexed over the innumerable options available out there. Radically, the thing that matters the most is knowing that the axle point outs the size of the bearing and these must be appropriately rated for the weight that you would be transporting.
When you plan to buy boat trailer bearing replacement, you need to determine the type and size of the bearings in the wheel hub of your trailer. You can uncover the reference numbers by lifting the hub; you will see that this is imprinted onto the metal of the external and internal bearings. It would be a lot easier to figure out the appropriate replacements once you have the reference numbers.
Alternatively, you may consider taking measurements of the spindle and the bearings in the event you could not go over the numbers imprinted on the metal parts. When doing the measurements, it is highly suggested to use a digital caliper because a tape measure or a ruler won’t be precise enough to offer you the exact measurements.
Aside from these, it is decisive to take note of the brand of the ATM and axle of the trailer before you shop for the replacements. In the process of boat trailer bearing shopping, you would observe that there are a few options that are pertained to as Chinese while others are Japanese.
In general, Chinese bearings are perceived to be more practical to use for short tours; on the other hand, Japanese options are specifically intended for long-haul bearings that are capable of withstanding heat in a more excellent approach.
Hence, when buying boat trailer bearings, this would largely hinge on whether you prefer them for marine, boat trailer application. It is indispensable to spell out that when investing in new ones.
Other Important Factors to Consider
What is a boat trailer bearing/hub and how does it work?
Boat trailer bearings are components that are specially designed to offer a sleek and even towing ride and impede friction from slackening you and inessentially running down the components of your trailer.
The primary task of a vessel trailer bearing is to allow the hub to spin without any trouble with merely a minimum amount of heat accumulation and friction as feasible. It is worth noting that this is executed through the rolling pins that serve as the ones rolling between the external and internal race.
Be that as it may, this task does not go smoothly as uttered than executed without one vital component and that is none other than a top-quality lube. In addition to this, without boat trailer bearings, bulky loads could reduce the movement of the wheel down to a deadlock.
Bearings for vessel trailers work by executing a very important role in keeping the trailer capable of providing a smooth, trouble-free ride and prevent water intrusion issues.
What are the different types of boat trailer bearings?
When buying boat trailer bearings, it is essential to know what type of bearing to get as they are commonly designed with different forms. And, some of the options that you could choose from consist of:
- Parallel Bearings
These are commonly referred to as more exceptional options if you intend to go off the road. The reason behind this is because they are built with a superior load rating amounting to a total of 1,600 kilograms.
As compared to the standard type of bearings, parallel bearings are designed with the same size for both internal and external bearing. As you could see, this makes them, quite different from standard types because the regular versions come with an internal bearing that is bigger than the external bearing.
- Holden Bearings
Such type of bearings is generally evaluated for a total of 750 kilograms on a 40 mm square or 39 mm round axle. If you need bearings that could deal with heavy-duty trailers, the options for these include 3 tonnes, 2 tonnes and 1.5-tonne sets.
- Ford or Slimline Bearings
These options are classified for a total of 1,500 kilograms on a 45 mm square or round axle.
Why do you need boat trailer bearings? (Benefits)
It is substantial to have a deeper grasp of the fact that not all forms of grease thickeners are designed to be compatible with each other. Thus, this conveys that not all lubes are compatible even if these are made for the same application.
That said, always bear in mind that when filling old lube, choose a type that comes with either the same form of thickener or the one that is designed to be compatible. In case you are not well-aware of what lube you are replacing, then it helps if you would try to tidy out the old lube first if feasible.
Withal, the primary perks of using lube are its viscosity; in other words, using grease is seen as quite beneficial because it has the capability to remain where you place it. If the bearing protector or dust cap happens to lose ground when you are maneuvering, the bearings would then keep on spinning for a long period.
In line with this, a lube-filled hub allows a little space for air inside the hub so this significantly aids in lessening condensation. Basically, if you find it hard to get the old lube out, consider placing an adequate amount of new lube in order to push out as much of the old lube as you could.
To learn more useful information about this, it helps to read the product’s label so you could unveil the type off thicker utilized in your lube. Take note that manufacturers generally pertain to the thickener as the soap, thickener or base.
The bottom line here is that packing your bearings in lube and keeping the lube fresh by simply replenishing it on a periodic basis, or utilizing oil-filled hubs that moisten the bearings with oil as the tires go around in circles. Sure thing, by keeping your bearings in good conditions, disregarding which hubs your boat trailer came with, it would help you keep you, other passenger’s and your watercraft off the edge.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most trusted boat trailer bearing brands?
There are a number of highly credible boat trailer bearing brands for you to check out. For sure, you only want the best for your vessel trailer. If you do not want to make your boat trailer fail its function, it is just right that you invest in high quality, reliable and functional trailer bearing that could execute the job without fail.
A few of the most reliable and trusted manufacturers of trailer bearings for boats comprise of:
- Eco Trailer Tire and Wheel
- Tie Down Engineering
- CE Smith
- Rigid Hitch
It is engrossing to note that these brands generally manufacture products that are a little pricey than other rivals; however, you can always be guaranteed with second to none quality, superb performance, and functionality that you would not be able to experience if you invest in low-priced and unknown brands. These are generally loaded with dependable and unique features that make them ahead when it comes to providing the best possible performance and quality.
How to install and use?
When replacing or setting up vessel trailer bearings, you will need to use a lug wrench, flathead screwdriver, a pair of pliers, a hammer and other needed means that would allow you to jack the wheel up without any risk. The following steps must be taken into account:
- The initial step to get started is to carefully unscrew the lug nuts with the lug wrench.
- From there, you may fully lift the boat trailer tire and lug nuts, if you are using a bearing protector, this must be removed too as well as the dust cap. You could access the bearings by straightening it out and then lift the cotter pin, washer and castle nut.
- Remove the wheel hub by gliding off the central spindle. You may also break the external bearing off the hub. Then, pull the internal seal off and lift the internal bearing.
- You may also begin taking the external and internal bearing caps out of their races to thoroughly tidy them. Get rid of the extreme amount of lube from the components using rags and then wash them in degreaser or solvent and allow them to dry.
- Carefully examine the components to ensure that there no indications of corrosion, rust and other forms of damage. It is highly advised to replace other components that show signs of damage.
- At the period you have finished cleaning and drying the components, you will be all set to reassemble it. You may apply an adequate amount of lube this time. Take note that you only need to lubricate the race surfaces and pack the bearings with enough lube as they would hold.
What is the warranty?
It is highly advised to opt for boat trailer bearing products that come with warranties, whether you get them in local marine and boating supply stores or in online shopping sites.
Warranties can serve as your guarantee that you can have money refund, replacement of defective item bought, replacement of a faulty component of the product you purchased and other sorts of customer protection offer that you could avail of.
For a fact, what makes products worth every single cent you spent is when they are categorized as risk-free investments because they are backed up by warranties. When they are supported by warranties, you can be worry-free that you get what you deserve for what you pay for.
And, in case there are issues that take place in the future related to the item you bought, you can always contact the seller or manufacturer for some solutions to your problem.
Where to buy?
Fortunately, there are lots of boat trailer bearings available in different marine and boating supply stores locally. So if you have the time, you can check them out in person. The good thing about shopping from local stores is that you could clearly inspect the product in person so you could decide at once if that certain product matches your requirements.
However, if you find it inconvenient to shop in local stores, then you can search for numerous boat trailer bearing products in various online shopping sites like Walmart, Amazon, and WestMarine. These sites generally come with innumerable stocks so consumers can enjoy looking for many options that suit their needs.
At times, these legit and credible online shopping sites offer some good promos and special rates that you can avail of. All you need to do is to ensure that you transact and buy products only from trusted online shopping sites.
How to care and maintain?
The proper way of providing excellent care and maintenance for a boat trailer bearing includes the following techniques:
- Always make it a habit to carefully inspect and clean the bearings. You can start doing so by simply wiping down the bearings and inspect if they are in good condition.
- Then, search for some indications of chips, dents and other sorts of damages in the roller cage.
- In case you notice any forms of damages, or if you observe some discoloration on the metals, if you could already see some spots of lines, then it is high time to dispose of the bearings.
- Once everything passes a thorough inspection, it is time to tidy the bearings and let them dry.
- Take in mind that the most effective method to tidy the bearings is through the use of a paper towel and a heavy-duty degreaser.
- It is important to wipe down the bearing right after it has been thoroughly tidied.
- Consider utilizing a very little amount of low-suds dish detergent as this would be quite effective in reducing the grease.
- Lastly, if it is necessary to discard and replace the bearings, make sure to search for the number stamped on the edges or ends of the bearing. Meanwhile, when you need to repack the boat trailer bearings, the following steps must be observed:
- Pack the bearings with lube. It is necessary to fill each space of the bearing with top quality lube.
- Consider using a bearing packer, alternatively, it is also possible to repack the bearings by hand.
- If you prefer to execute the greasing task using your hand, begin with a dab of lube in your palm and after that gently press the bearing into the lube using some amount of force.
- Make certain to execute this one section at a time and run over the sections. You may begin on the front and from there you could maneuver to the rear side of the bearing.
Greasing your boat trailer bearings at least once in a week or once in a month might appear like a practical thing to execute. It cannot be ignored that facilitating scheduled maintenance at periodic periods is considered a timeworn concept.
Take into account that the main reason why boat trailer bearings need to be lubricated is to minimize friction. For a fact, it is unnecessary to replace it or add more so long as the grease is executing its task quite well.
Is it possible to upgrade your boat trailer bearings?
The bearings of your trailer must precisely match the axle and its spindle. That said, if you are thinking of upgrading your axle, it is just right that you also consider upgrading your bearings. It is natural to replace the current ones with the same.
Also, be reminded that when selecting boat trailer bearing replacements, one vital requirement is that they must be built with topnotch quality. And, this could also be possible if they are constructed with genuine components.
Once you have selected or upgraded your trailer bearings, the next thing that you need to work on is ensuring that they are greased accordingly prior to getting started on a long haul or journey and make it a habit to bring a spare set with you.
Whenever you haul a trailer behind your vehicle, all you literally wish to do is to get your cargo from one area to another without the need to execute a generous amount of labor. Undeniably, no one wishes the trailer to move back and forth more than necessary, and another thing that you certainly do not want to experience is slowing down. Such occurrences are unlikely to happen if your trailer bearings are in the best possible condition.
Just like what you have learned from this post, it is fundamental to be loaded with an ample amount of information when shopping for appropriate and the best boat trailer bearings. As you know, you do not simply buy whatever you think looks good and durable, there are vital features and functions that must be highly contemplated on in order to ensure that you are getting the right product for your needs.
Hence see to it to study the 10 boat trailer bearing options exhaustively reviewed in this article so that you can pinpoint which one best match the needs of your vessel trailer. In the same way, consider the buying tips shared in this post too so that you won’t get lost even when you are provided with limitless options to select from.
When you know what exactly your needs are, then you can get the right match for you! Your perfectly optimized content goes here!
I am Dave, Marine Talk’s content creator. Boating experiences matter when planning a boat trip for your family or going by yourself. Therefore, I am here to tackle all things relevant to boating so even the inexperienced ones can start their boating safely.